110 W. New York Ave.
DeLand, FL 32720
By Al Everson
posted Mar 13, 2013 - 7:43:15am
Commercial-sector growth is welcome in Deltona, where the tax base is more than 80-percent residential. Compare that to neighboring Orange City, whose tax roll is 44-percent commercial, according to the Volusia County Property Appraiser’s Office.
After more than five years the long-awaited recovery appears to be coming. In the fourth quarter of 2011, Deltona’s unemployment rate was 10.7 percent. In the fourth quarter of 2012, that rate was 8.6 percent.
More signs of recovery:
• A health-care corporation is looking at Deltona as the site of a new hospital.
• Florida Hospital is considering development of an urgent-care center and medical offices at the intersection of Doyle Road and State Road 415, with the intention of gradually creating an in-patient care facility.
• A flurry of commercial development includes two Dollar General stores at 320 Stratford Commons and 3016 Howland Blvd.
• The new RaceTrac service station and convenience store will be built at 3201 Howland Blvd., very close to Deltona High School.
• A store featuring three major food retailers is coming. Dunkin’ Donuts, at 3140 Howland Blvd., will be a combination store, with Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream and a Subway sandwich shop.
• Subway is also planning a store at 600 Courtland Blvd., he said.
• Leslie Pools is coming to Deltona.
To read more, check out the March 6-12 edition of Beacon Extra! To subscribe to The Beacon online, click here. For a list of newsstand locations, click here. To have the print edition mailed to your home twice a week, send your address via email to email@example.com.
The comments posted below are posted by readers, not by The Beacon staff. These comments express the views and opinions of the authors, and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster. The comments forum is governed by these rules. Please use the report abuse link if you find offensive comments.
Did you find this story interesting or informative? Subscribe to The West Volusia Beacon to read more stories by Al Everson, along with others from our award-winning writers. Subscribe now!