We hope you're enjoying our site. You've read one of your seven free stories for the month. Log in for open access.

<p></p><p></p>

A dryer fire occurred this afternoon at Stetson University’s Edmunds Center.

At 1:04 p.m. Tuesday, a witness notified law enforcement of a fire in the lower West portion of Edmunds Center when a commercial clothing dryer overheated and caught fire.

The smoke filled utility room where the fire took place.

The smoke filled utility room where the fire took place.

The DeLand Fire Department arrived at 1:08 p.m. and found moderate smoke conditions and an active, and quickly spreading fire in the utility room. The fire was rapidly extinguished by the fire department. The fire marshal investigated the fire and found the cause was a malfunctioning dryer. There were no injuries reported.

The estimated damage to the room and equipment is estimated at $20,000. Edmunds Center is expected to be closed throughout the night.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here