As kids prepare to go back to school, the City of DeLand and its partners will make sure they have the supplies they need to succeed in the classroom.
The 13th Annual Mayor’s Backpack Giveaway will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, July 29 at Earl Brown Park, 815 South Alabama Avenue. The giveaway is open to all members of the community, regardless of income level or background.
“We are excited to be able to provide this resource to families in our community,” said Mayor Chris Cloudman. “Providing children with backpacks and school supplies gives parents one less thing to worry about as they prepare for the upcoming school year.”
Parents and children who arrive for the giveaway will receive one voucher per child to ensure they receive a backpack. Once children receive their backpack, vendors will be setup around the park handing out school supplies such as notebooks, pencils, pens, and more. The DeLand Police Athletic League will also be on site giving out a limited supply of sneakers.
There will also be vendors offering services though verification will be required:
- Gen Mobile will be on site giving out free smartphones and Unlimited Talk, Text & 7GB data if people qualify through the Affordable Connectivity Program. People must bring ID and a verification letter or Gold Medicaid card to see if you qualify. A household* is eligible if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC or Lifeline
- Participates in Tribal-specific programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal TANF or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-20, 2020-21 or 2021-22 school year
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- Hispanic Health Initiatives will provide Free Glucose, Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Testing. ID & Proof of Volusia County Residency Required.
- Rising Against All Odds: Free HIV Testing. ID & Proof of Volusia County Residency Required.
The city’s Juneteenth celebration, which was previously rained out, will be held at the Sanborn Activity and Event Center at 10 a.m. immediately following the backpack giveaway.